Remember when I said (less than a week ago) that it only takes one person to fall in love with the house to set the wheels in motion? Well, I was right about that – times two.
The house went on the market last Wednesday and we had several showings by different realtors leading into the weekend. Then we had an open house on Sunday which brought several folks in without agents. One of those was a family who really liked the space and location and, I am sure, all the wonderful things that I was so taken with when I first saw it.
They put in an offer that night which was really exciting and a weight off my shoulders about where we set the asking price. You always worry and never really know how things are going to go until things start to happen (or not). That offer was contingent on the sale of their house which is not ideal but pretty common. People find a house and can’t afford two mortgage payments and have to sell in order to buy. They are putting their house up for sale this week and expect it to go fast.
Like I said, not ideal. There’s nothing like the stress of waiting for something to happen that is 100% out of your control. I would have no idea what their house is like, if they have priced it right, and how motivated they are. Normally. The purchase agreement came with a letter about how enthusiastic and confident that they are. It was a touching letter and tugged at my heart strings. I’m a softy so that kind of stuff hits me.
It is for that reason that I had a serious pause when a second offer came in just one day after the first. When we countered on the first my agent put an addendum on the contract that the house would stay active for other showings and offers while their house was for sale.
On Monday another couple came through and also liked the house enough to put in an offer. That was yesterday and we accepted that offer too which puts that buyer in the second position to purchase if the first deal does not get amended within 48 hours to remove the house sale contingency. So now we have two active contracts and are in that 48 hour waiting period to see what the first family will do.
At this point it’s out of my hands and aside from really wanting the first family to pull through with something, I’m feeling pretty good about the status of things. Both could still go south and there’s a lot of process ahead, but I’m confident that things will work out for the best. They say don’t count your chickens before they hatch, but my son will tell you that “it’s just easier to count them before they hatch”. Haha! He’s right.
By this time next month I will likely be getting ready to close the deal and that will be one less thing for me to think about all the time. It will actually be a huge impact to my financial situation and I’ll be in a much better position to Also NOT worry about work hours all the time.
Speaking of work, yesterday was great on that front too. I was able to do several hours of heads down work on my SSIS package and SQL scripts. With that progress I’m almost back on schedule and feel like if I have a few more days like that, I can actually get ahead of the game. That would be a great feeling.
Today is going to be tricky because I have to pick my son up at school at 3:20 and then I have a meeting at 4 and then have to be back to the school by 5:15 to get my daughter. There’s not enough time to drive back and forth (nor would I want to) and so I’m gonna have to run the call from a coffee shop or something. Fun fun.
Just when I thought it was safe to turn off my internet at the house. 🙄 Of course it’s my own fault for scheduling a 4 pm meeting, though that was the only time slot available for all participants this week. Whatever. I’m just hoping my Epic counterpart can run the show. I’d be happy just running the Zoom meeting and taking notes. After this one I will have to remember 4 pm meetings are no bueno.
Time to set my egg timer. We’ll see what these chickens do. 🥚