We’re now over half way through the month of January so it’s about time I check myself before I wreck myself.
In other words.. how am I doing on the New Years resolution front?
To be fair I think I only officially declared my set of goals a little over a week ago so anything that happened before that doesn’t really count. Plus, several of my objectives are monthly which means I’ve still got time. Without further ado…
- Read a book a month. 📕 This past weekend I read the latest Rattle cover to almost cover, but that doesn’t count as a book I think. I’d better get to reading here soon.
- Write a new poem or free write once a week (this blog doesn’t count). ✅ First week on it was a success!
- Do 20 minutes of yoga twice a week. ❌ No yoga.. no bueno.
- Maintain my 100 active sub count. ❌ Oh the rejections! I’m not there yet because I’ve been taking my time on research and working on some higher quality submission. I did get a rejection from Threepenny review right away. Now THAT’S aiming higher!
- Lose 5 pounds. 👍🏻 This is a longer term goal too. On the right track as I’m down 3 already.
- Get 420 Zone Minutes each week (it’s a Fitbit exercise measure). ✅✅💃 I went above and beyond with 639.
- Average 30 minutes of custom cardio each day (another FitBit score). 🧐 Hmmmm… the short answer is that it looks like I hit my goal. The longer answer is that it looks like FitBit doesn’t tally up/average out the daily numbers. There’s a few pretty graphs but they are for BPM and Resting heart rate. I had to go look at each day individually and nobody’s got time for that! I might need to change the measure to something a little more readily available.
- Meditate at least once a week (failed last year but that can’t stop me from trying again). ✅ I logged 3 meditations last week and that’s stretching my goal!! Woohoo!
- Reduce my screen time on my phone by 30 minutes each day.😬 Another funky goal that’s not easy to measure. I guess in order to know if I’m meeting my goal, I’d have to establish a baseline. But the apple data only goes back a month. So I suppose looking at that month, my average is about 2 hours and 45 minutes a day. The goal would be 2 hours and 15 minutes.That would mean last week was an epic fail but so far this week I’m right on target. However, the numbers are skewed by the fact that I’m typing this on my phone RIGHT NOW. I’d have to minus productivity minutes from all the calculations and I ain’t got time for that either! 🤦♀️
- Participate in at least 2 workshops and or readings each month. ✅✅✅ Winter Res counts. A virtual reading at NPS on January 4th counts. My next reading at the RRR series counts (January 25th.. message me if you want details). And two more events I’m planning to attend by NPS (Nebraska Poetry Society) later this month. STRETCH!!!
So it looks like I’m doing my stretching in all places except for yoga! 😜 I’ll definitely need to work on that this week.
I was going to try and go to a class this week but we went into household lockdown again so that’s out. Plus I returned from Nebraska city to a cold zone in my house as one of the furnaces went out. It’s like I can’t leave town for even a minute without some disaster befalling the Castle. Last time it was the duo of dishwasher fail + clogged kitchen sink and this time the furnace.
At least we have another zone we can live in until the Donovan Bros. can come to our rescue.
I think that’s it for today. Good gravy, it’s enough!
Until next time,